A story

Going through my class tenth homework copy I came across many stories I had written at that period. In this post I am putting up a story I had written at that time and was hailed by my English teacher Chitra Miss as 'very well written!!'. I am reproducing the story word to word as it is in my home work copy.
This will give the insight about the fantasies my young mind used to nurture.




If only I had signed the bill then I would not have been in such a condition. Condition....oh! yes I would not have been tied to the piers of the rail bridge.
The sun was at it's full glare and perspiration overruled the three of us. Me, and the other two hooligans who were forcing me to sign a bill. Dark nimbus clouds could be seen in the horizon. The bill .... ah yes, it was one of the closely guarded articles of the company I used to work. One of those fouls had a revolver pointed towards me while the other other had the bill and a pen.
"Sign it soon, we do not have much time to spare", boomed one of them and charging towards me struck me with the barrel of the revolver. An acute pain whizzed through my brain and then I know nothing.
I was awaken by a long drawn shrill sound. I gazed at it, a train is approaching grandly whistling to it's heart. Then one voice uttered, "Sign it soon, else we won't untie you and you will be left to die in the most horrible way."
Once again I looked at the train. It was feeling as if the cheering power of spring, whistling and singing slowly approaching. But the odds were in excess as by this time the nimbus clouds stretched the whole sky. The sky looked eerie.
Death to me seemed to approach like a caterpillar. For a moment I remained still. It was the time for me to discover the eternal truth of life, yes death it is and we are mere puppets before the mighty hands of death.
Nearer and nearer came the train along with my death."But no ...no...there is one way of getting rid of this death.... yes one way..., if I sign that bill", I said to myself.
At this particular time I was utmost practical. I stretched out my hands, then I put death in one hand and suffering of the poor laborers on the other and asked the most difficult question to my conscience about which one being heavier. The answer I got was the suffering of the poor laborers. "No ! by no way I am going to sign the bill which may even cost my life. If I sign the bill then these hooligans can gobble up the whole monthly salary of 5000 poor laborer of my company", I murmured to myself, as the miserable faces of those poor workers came flashing in my memory. Then again I heard the same long hooting whistle of the train. I looked at it, by this time it had proceeded further and had by now reached the head of the bridge.
"Just 30 seconds left and you are a dead man. Last chance, sign quickly", barked out one of those rubbish fouls. But I stuck to my determination and boomed " NO never".
Losing hope they left me alone to die.
I closed my eyes. Only the chugging sound was audible to me but no along with that I could also hear the death knell of those two persons being rung by the devil himself.
"NO" I could not bear it as I longed to see the eternal truth by my own eyes I opened them.
The lively death was about 100 feet away.... now about 80 feet....it's about 50 feet now when breaking all laws of science I could see a glazing flash .... a flash of lightning and following that the engine stopped just 10 feet away from my body of bones and muscles.
"The engine has gone out of order", said one voice from the congested drivers room. It followed this, "It might have been the high voltage created by the lightning that our electric engine jammed."
The rest is like a dream to me. Highly exhausted I offered a deep breathed prayer to God and wondered about the lightning. Lightning just two feet away and I was standing quite aware that I was alive. It was clear to me that just seconds back "Nature's law was broken".
I gave a cry for help. Out came some persons who showed pity upon my state. I narrated them the whole incident. In a moment I was in the comfort of an AC compartment. No sooner had I seated myself then a heavy downpour began. After about an hour the train recovered and with the same whistling sound grandly moved ahead.
It was about evening, I reached home had a comfortable nap.
Next morning while hastily going through the morning newspaper my eyes caught an article, it read " Last afternoon during the heavy downpour two persons were killed by lightning as they tried to take shelter under a tree." Beside the article were the pictures of those two hooligans, who were forcing me to sign the bill.... who left me in front of sure death.
"The lightning did it again", I cried out of utter joy.
"Yes ! nemesis exists ", I said as tears rolled down my cheek.
And then I boldly declared,"You Omnipotent, You Omnipresent....God, I have discovered, I have seen you....Yes", but was soon depressed as I realized that I had no other proof except my thoughts and ......the lightning.

Comments

  1. Never thought before that a student of class X can write this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts