Running an application during Startup and saving screen brightness in Fedora 16

I was having a hard time with two issues in my Dell Studio 15.
First:
It has got an ATI radeon 5470 graphics card. My issues was the screen brightness would not get saved by default. Each time I had to manually decrease to my required level and while doing so on about 30% of the cases my computer would crash.
Threw my query to google & here is what I got.
Fire up the terminal and run the following command being the 'root' user.

echo "0" > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

The level of brightness denoted by the integer value and it's range is 0-15.
0 being dimmest and 15 being the brightest.

Now, all I had to put this in crontab which would execute each time the computer reboots and the brightness would automatically set to my desired level.
Again being the root user run the following command-

crontab -e

Press I in keyboard

Paste the following line:
@reboot echo "0" > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

Press 'Esc' then 'Shift:' then type 'wq' then press 'Enter'.

Solved :-)

Second:
I love conky and wanted to run it each time I reboot.This being a desktop application somehow would not run as a crontab application.
What worked for me.
In my home folder there is a folder .config. Inside the .config folder is folder called autostart. In the autostart folder I created a file conky.desktop and wrote the following inside the file.
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/usr/bin/conky -c /home/jibesh/conky/conkyrc
Name=Conky

And it worked like a breeze.
Cheers !! :-)

Comments

  1. Thanks a lot. The brightness issue was really bothering me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts